General Olin Policies
For a full list of Olin policies please review the handbooks and visit the University Bulletin.
- You must be enrolled in 12 units.
- College Writing: C- or higher is required.
- May take one PE course per semester.
- Classes start and end on the published times.
University College (UC) courses
- Can take one UC course per semester
- No advisor approval required.
- Will not count towards degree requirements.
- Will not count towards your GPA.
- A student may take a maximum of one course per semester on a pass/fail basis. If a course is only offered as pass/ fail, a student may choose another course to take as pass/fail.
- A maximum of 9 units of distribution or advanced electives can be taken pass/fail. The pass/ fail course may only count towards 1 requirement. i.e. A single pass/ fail course cannot be double counted towards a distribution and advanced elective. This policy is in effect starting Fall 2021. Courses taken previously will not retroactively be changed.
- Pass/fail cannot be used for Math 131, Math 132, College Writing, or the Ethics and Values distribution requirement.
- A maximum of 6 Olin units may be taken as pass/fail after a student has completed 6 full-time semesters of enrollment or in their senior year. This policy is in effect starting Fall 2021. Courses taken previously will not retroactively be changed.
- Olin courses taken pass/ fail cannot count towards the 60 units of business, however it will count towards the 120 units for graduation.
- All Olin professional, major, and minor courses must be taken for a letter grade. This includes any non BU courses counting towards Olin’s professional coursework (i.e. ECON 1021 substitute for MEC 292). For 2nd major and minors outside of Olin, please speak with your 2nd major or non-Olin minor advisor.
Olin Grading Scale
- 4.0 scale with an A being equal to a 4.00.
- Plus and minus grades have point values.
- Good Academic Standing
- 2.0 Minimum Overall GPA
- 2.0 Minimum GPA in Professional Courses
- GPA: 3.6 or higher
- At least 14 graded credits
- No incompletes or “N” grades
Policy on Majors
You may earn a maximum of two majors. Your options include either declaring two business majors or declaring one business major and one major outside of Olin. Declarations for business majors must be declared online through Webstac by Feb 10th of your sophomore year.
Policies on Minors
Olin students may earn one or two minors depending on the number of majors you are pursuing. All minors with the exception of the Business of Sports, Business of Social Impact, Economics of Entertainment and International Business minors are outside of Olin.
Your options are:
- one major and two minors, or
- two majors and one minor
Pre-matriculation units are earned before the student’s enrollment at Washington University as a first-year student. These units would include Advanced Placement (AP) examinations, International Baccalaureate (IB) programs, British Advanced (A) Levels, and college credit earned after the student’s junior year in high school. These units will be noted on the student’s transcript. The maximum number of pre-matriculation units awarded is 15.
These pre-matriculation credits will transfer as general elective course work and will not satisfy any distribution requirements. If a student takes a course in residence for which they have already received AP credit, the AP credit will be removed automatically.
All BSBA students and second majors will be required to take DAT 120 Managerial Statistics I, even when AP credit is earned for Math 2200 Elementary Probability and Statistics.
- 120 Credits for the BSBA Degree
- See Curriculum Guide for specifics
- Economics & Strategy
- Healthcare Management
- Organization and Strategic Management major (formerly known as Leadership and Strategic Management major)
- Operations & Supply Chain Management
- International Business (minor)
- Economics of Entertainment (minor)
- The Business of Sports (minor)
- The Business of Social Impact (minor)